The Canada Apprentice Loan is an initiative of the Government of Canada. Apprentices can apply for up to $4,000 in interest-free loans per period of technical training.
- The Government of Canada offers apprentices registered in a Red Seal Trade apprenticeship program up to $4,000 per period of technical training.
- You can get Canada Apprentice Loans for up to 5 periods of technical training.
- Your loan will be interest-free for up to 6 years as long as you are confirmed as being registered in a Red Seal Trade apprenticeship program.
- You do not have to make any loan payments as long as your loan is in interest-free status.
To be eligible, you must meet all of these criteria:
- be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or Protected Person;
- be registered in a Red Seal Trade apprenticeship program that is designated by the province or territory where you are registered as an apprentice;
- be enrolled in block release technical training or the equivalent full-time technical training with an approved technical training provider; and
- pass a credit check (required if you are applying for the first time).
You are not eligible if you:
- are a high school student;
- are an apprentice registered in the province of Quebec;
- are receiving a Canada Student Loan for the same technical training;
- have been told that you are restricted from receiving a Canada Apprentice Loan or a Canada Student Loan;
- have already received funding for 5 periods of technical training; or
- have already received 6 years of interest-free status
For more information or to apply, visit Government of Canada – Canada Apprentice Loan.