In Budget 2018, the Government of Canada announced a new Apprenticeship Incentive Grant for Women to further support women in entering, progressing, and completing their training in Red Seal trades where women are underrepresented. The Apprenticeship Incentive Grant for Women (AIG-W) is a taxable cash grant of $3,000 per year/level (or equivalent) up to a maximum amount of $6,000 per person.
To be eligible for the AIG-W, you must:
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or protected person;
- not be a high school student;
- self-identify as a woman;
- have the required AIG-W supporting documents;
- be registered with your provincial/territorial apprenticeship authority as an apprentice in a designated Red Seal trade having low female representation;
- have progressed in your training in designated Red Seal trades on or after April 1, 2018; and
- provide proof that you have successfully completed either the 1st and/or 2nd year/level (or equivalent) of apprenticeship.
If you progressed in 2018 your deadline is: June 30, 2019
If you progressed on or after January 1, 2019, your deadline is: 12 months following your date of progression